What’s With Paper Mario Now?
Over
the years, we’ve seen many iterations of the classic Super Mario
Bros. From heroic plumber, to doctor, to professional kart racer, to
sports star, and even a pie factory worker, Mario’s got a massive
grab-bag variety of games under his belt. Perhaps my absolute
favorite genre involving Mario is the RPG side of things. Two series
come to mind when I think of Mario RPG’s: the first is the witty
Mario and Luigi series on the many different handheld devices
throughout Nintendo history, but more pertinent to today’s article
is the titular Paper Mario franchise.
One
day in 2005 for Christmas, I was given a copy of Paper Mario: The
Thousand-Year Door, an innocent-looking GameCube title that I had
passively seen demoed at a local Wal-Mart a couple weeks before but
didn't remember much of. It looked kinda fun, but I had no idea what
I was getting into. After a couple hours of playing on Christmas day,
I was immersed in the story and combat mechanics. Within the first
couple hours, something had drawn me into the game like never before.
Having just finished ravaging through Metroid Prime’s lonely
(albeit beautiful) landscapes, I was ready to explore an environment
teeming with approachable life signs. And boy was I not disappointed.
The game took me a long time to complete my first time through. I
remember struggling to master the combat mechanics, and allowing my
mind to completely escape into this colorful and fun world as I
basked in the game’s clever writing, fun art style, and challenging
gameplay. I have recently played through the game again after many
years, and I admit that the game isn’t nearly as challenging as I
remember—in fact, I beat the final boss without any real problems,
being slightly disappointed in how anti-climactic the ending was for
me now that I had mastered the game’s RPG elements. Nevertheless, I
still rate Thousand-Year Door as one of my Top 5 all-time favorite
games, ever.
Alright,
I have gushed about this game enough. Long story short, the game was
amazing and I was dying for more. I eventually played through the
original Paper Mario, and I enjoyed that title as well. I could
definitely see how TTYD improved upon the original in all the right
places. My excitement could not be contained when I heard that Paper
Mario was coming to the Wii. I remember watching a YouTube video
showing the new gameplay of the anticipated Super Paper Mario title,
and I have to say, I was… confused. I remember thinking, “Huh.
They didn’t show the RPG mechanics of the game; maybe they’re
saving it for later to surprise us.”
Nope. There were none, and I
could not have been more let down. Being the stubborn teenager I was,
I chose to ignore this title because it was so drastically-different
from the title that I had come to love in recent years. My brother,
however, was not afraid to touch it. He bought the game with his own
money (with me groaning “Whyyyyyyy” in the background at
GameStop), and after he had finished his playthrough of it, I decided
to give it a shot. The story was… better than I originally gave it
credit for, but I felt like I had to force myself to finish the game
because the gameplay mechanics were so insufferably boring and just
plain unengaging. "Look, I changed the perspective of the camera and it changes the way I interact with the game. Wheeeee. Glad they performed a fun-ectomy of the infinitely more-entertaining battle system so they could cram this winner in."
A
few years had passed, and I caught wind of a promising 3DS title
called Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Seeing that they had brought back
the signature combat mechanics of the first two Paper Mario games, I
felt a little more hopeful for the series, and that developers had
learned their lesson from the last title.
I could not have been more
wrong. It turns out that Sticker Star suffered from the opposite
problem as Super Paper Mario: where Super had at least a decent
storyline, Sticker Star was completely bland, mute, and virtually
without story (story was a staple in the series for 3 previous
iterations of Paper Mario). It was as if they took Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and performed an extensive lobotomy on it, then sold it as Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I strongly consider the castration of
storytelling elements to be a cardinal sin in gaming; I mean, if a
game series originally has no story, then fine. But cutting story out
in favor of other aspects is a very large no-no in my book. And what
they put onto the forefront of their game wasn’t even worth the
cut! The combat mechanics they revived in this title were stripped
down to the bare minimum—another egregious error they made with
this game. Health bars in the game were collective if there was more than one enemy, so unless you were paying attention you had no idea when one enemy was going to drop and screw up your carefully-laid out plans. To make things worse, combat was specifically designed so
that you had to collect stickers in order to even fight your enemies;
no stickers, no basic jumping on uninspired goomba heads (or...
bodies. Both, I guess?). Sticker Star took the “jump” out of
“Jump-Man Mario”. That’s like forcing Sonic the Hedgehog to
collect stickers in order for him to run fast! No thank you. If
Sticker Star were made with the development standards Nintendo has
today in the Switch/New 3DS era, you and I both know those extra
stickers would be stuck behind microtransactions: the pungent,
mildewy armpit of gaming.
After
Sticker Star, I must admit that I have not had the heart to play any
more Paper Mario games. That Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario hybrid
looked okay, I guess… Not worth my time, in my humble opinion. But
I will never, ever play the
abomination that is Color Splash or whatever the heck that game is
called. I just don’t have another bad Paper Mario title in me. But
with bad title after bad title, I had to wonder: What is it that
makes Paper Mario games so bad? A better question: what would make
them good again? My
brain immediately calls upon “RPG mechanics!” as the answer to
all this series’ problems, but I think it’s much more than that.
My answer is three-fold.
1.)
RPG Elements.
Let’s
get this one out of the way. Many longtime fans of the series will
agree with me that stripping the game of its grassroots turn-based
combat and character development was an egregious error. Where Super
Paper Mario introduced jumping on enemies into the series (wow,
that’s never been done in a Mario game before…), previous
iterations forced players to think about their actions, choosing
party members for specific circumstances, and required at least a
little bit of deeper knowledge of the game’s meta to really do
well. Combat was a fresh take on the Mario series, and while the
Mario and Luigi RPG series eventually reproduced that fresh
perspective in its own way, Paper Mario’s combat system for the
first two games could only be described as unique and engaging. It
was dynamic.
There were a lot of elements and tools for you to use,
and many factors for you to consider. Flower Power, squad abilities,
a large variety of attacks, Crystal Star powers, stage hazards,
badges that altered you and your party, audience participation (that
whole system was inspired in of itself), enemy strengths and
weaknesses—there was so much involved in the game it made each
playthrough a unique, dynamic, and fun experience despite linear
storytelling. Leveling up felt like it had a significant impact, even
late into the game. Imagine what kinds of fun Super Paper Mario could
have been if it had incorporated the same mechanics! Imagine how much
more improved Sticker Star would have been if they had worked harder
on their combat system to make it more like the tried and true
formula! I know virtually nothing about Color Splash, but I know for
a fact that it would be infinitely better with the combat system and
not their wishy-washy color/sticker badness combined with the
Dry-Bones minimum into the battle portions of the game. Here’s the
thing: even if they planted the same exact story of Sticker Star into
the game, but brought back virtually all of the RPG elements of Paper
Mario or Thousand-Year Door, then I would have at least played
through it again instead of letting the dust collect on it as it
currently sits in my 3DS game-holder along with Mario Party and
Pokemon Y (I just can’t get into Pokemon, okay?). I have to want
to progress in this game, and if story isn’t the reason (which
we’ll talk about in a moment), then it needs to be through
character progression. If you don’t have either, then you just have
spent 3 years and millions of dollars designing a pretty cartridge
that I won’t ever touch again after my minimal effort in finishing
it.
I
love playing a game that challenges me. Admittedly, I’m a huge XCOM
nut. I loved the reintroduction to the series with XCOM: Enemy
Unknown, and the Enemy Within expansion was literally the best
expansion ever, worthy of every last penny I threw at this game twice
over (Steam is unforgiving about region-locking your games when it
comes to moving to a new country). The game was fun, engaging,
challenging, and forced me to think. Every step of the way, the game
gave me 5 options and all 5 of them were the correct paths, but if I
didn’t choose carefully it could very easily end up being the wrong
one that punishes me severely down the road. The story in of itself
was actually pretty subpar, and it’s something I think people gloss
over when praising Enemy Unknown/Within. But despite that, the game
has such high replayability value. Why?
Because it’s so amazingly
fun! Outfitting your characters with the best possible gear, leveling
them up over the course of the entire game, managing your base and
putting out proverbial alien fires all over the world… it was so
cohesively done that no two playthroughs are ever the same and
provide endless enjoyment. And XCOM 2 was no exception! With the War
of the Chosen expansion just days away, I am nearly shivering with
excitement to see what amazing and massive amounts of content they
bring to the game! The story sucks, but I still love it. That speaks
volumes as to the power of an RPG system. It allows us to tell our
own story, especially in the absence of a decent one. Paper Mario
games as of late are missing that RPG flair, and it’s probably the
biggest reason this beloved franchise is currently in the toilet.
2.)
Story.
No,
seriously, story is a must for me. I cannot get into a game that
doesn’t have at least some kind of storytelling mechanic that binds
me to it in some way. Many RPG’s are nothing without some kind of
story to tell. Sure, it’s fun to play and increase your character’s
skills through some kind of progression system. But giving your
characters reasons to
improve their skills… that’s something that does serious wonders
for a game. Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Deus Ex—even
games like Metroid Prime and Legend of Zelda are good examples of
good systems in tandem with effective storytelling. We have to have a
reason for being there, or else it’s just us running around
defeatinng things. I just recently finished Shadow of Mordor for the
first time; the story was intriguing at first, but then it sort of
fell flat when I realized half of the missions I was sent on were
basically just tutorials for a game I wasn’t going to play after
the story was over. But that tutorial thing is a whole other can of
worms for another article. My point is that when I did
finish the game, I could move
onto another game mode that was basically the same game but without
the campaign mode; I wandered around for a few minutes and then
realized there was no real story anchoring me to the several hours I
would spend playing a House of Cards-style game that’s really just
an excuse to lop Uruk heads off (which is by no means boring, but isn't entirely sustaining in of itself, either). I
admit, the Nemesis System was inspiring and lots of fun, but without
some sort of plot to anchor me, it’s just a to-behead list of
randomly-generated bad guys.
But
bringing it back to Paper Mario, 1-3 had really engaging stories. I
didn’t just want to battle enemies, I wanted
to find the Crystal Stars! I wanted to defeat Bowser in Paper Mario.
I wanted to stop Count
Bleck from finishing his quest! The story focused my gameplay in a
way that was not produced in 4 and (presumably) 5. What was there was
an empty shell where I was running around and hitting things for
virtually no reason other than the same age-old hook of “Bowser
kidnapped the princess, with a new cheap gimmick tacked onto the
premise. Mama-Mia...”.
I didn’t really care at that point. And
then they had the gall of trying to cover their lack of content onto
a world map to try and make it look like there was a lot of it when
there really wasn’t. Sure, it looked nice, and it was good so that
they didn’t have to do as much work developing a much larger
world—but there again, if you have a dumbed down story, dumbed down
RPG system, and a dumbed down cast of characters (that’s the next
one), what work have you really done to deserve making level design
that makes it easier on yourselves? You’re trying to get each
fragmented “mission” to tell a much larger story, and because of
that you’re communicating to your players exactly what your story
is: fragmented. Broken. Unengaging. The story of Paper Mario is so
good, I don’t have a problem feeling motivated to collect all the
Crystal Stars and opening the Thousand-Year Door. And when I do, I
don’t mind following the side quests that not only get me cool
stuff, but also immerses me more fully into the game’s rich lore
that was so painstakingly written into the game. That’s a great
game, one that has such a good story it makes me want
to do side quests when I’ve finished the main campaign. And I HATE
side quests!
3.)
Characters.
Lastly,
in Paper Marios 1 and 2, we had a huge
cast of colorful and unique characters, each with their own take on
their species. Oh, the laughs I had to see all the shady Shyguys in
Rogueport, the Russian Bob-Ombs, and the delightfully diverse
personalities of virtually everyone in the game. Heck, I’ll even
throw a bone to Super Paper Mario. Flavio stands as one of my
favorite minor villains in the series. He was hilarious!
Mr. L (mind-controlled Luigi) was a really fun character as well that
sort of fleshed out his normal character in the Paper Mario series. Virtually every last character in the first 3 games had a unique look
and personality that complimented the mood and very adorable art
style. So nicely done! An RPG system is nothing without a story, and
a story is nothing without a good cast of characters. The huge list
of people you get to meet and fight are the real backbone of the
Paper Mario series. And what’s better is the writers that give
voice to these characters, who at every turn are able to say
something funny, interesting, or important to the plot. It makes
sense. Everything about these first two games just screams
personality (and about half of the things in the third one), and it’s
an absolute shame that
formula did not follow suit in Sticker Star or Color Splash, because
there were so many characters that were awesome and fun to talk to.
The virtual entirety of chapter 6 in The Thousand-Year Door was
engaging with these characters, and it stands as one of the best
chapters in the game as you become a detective on a train, partnering
with a penguin who hilariously uses his sleuth skills to deduce that
you are Luigi and spends the entire game calling you that. Even Luigi
telling his stories about his adventure was fun to listen to (and
would have also made an extremely-entertaining side campaign or short
spinoff of its own, Nintendo!). The characters in Paper Marios 1-3
breathed life into the world and made you want to explore every last
nook and cranny of these games. What’s more, these characters
actually got to cheer you on as combat took place on a stage as if it
were a play—an amazing concept!
People were able to throw you items if they liked you, or throw trash
if they didn’t. Enemies you fought literally eat
the audience in some instances! There was so much character in every
step of the game, even in combat! Sticker Star… had Toads.
Literally all of the characters were generic Toads with generic
names, and 1 generic color scheme. Here’s a scary thought: Toad.exe
may have had more Toad stuff, but at least that was entertaining and
added a new pizazz to the world of Super Mario 64 than the Toad
community had in Sticker Star. Toad.exe, the nightmare that was a
Mario 64 mod, was more
entertaining than Sticker Star!
Mario’s
partners were also very diverse in character and combat (at least in
1 and 2). They were fresh takes on old enemy types, and even some new
ones to boot! It was fun to switch them out and use each one
according to the needs of the game. They had their own reasons for
joining Mario on his adventure, and added a fun dynamic to the party
in their own way. They each had their own comments on different
situations based on their personalities and relationships to the
discussion. Super Paper Mario fell flat with this. In this one, your
partners were… polygon fairy things, whose shapes defined their
function. “Ooh look. This one is a hand. How imaginative.” They
had no personality to them. They were boring, lifeless blobs that
just added powers to Mario and friends’ miniscule arsenal of tools, and quite honestly, I don't remember a single one of them.
Not fun at all. Sticker Star and Color Splash each suffered from an
even worse problem: one partner, whose personalities and character
development were about as deep as the shallow end of the kiddie pool.
They existed merely to provide information to the characters/player
and literally that is it. I want to write more about them but there’s
literally nothing more to add, either good or bad. And that’s not a
good thing.
Here’s the bottom line: Paper Mario games on this side of 2010
suck because they lack RPG elements, story, and unique characters.
They suck because virtually everything about it screams “I have
done the minimal amount of work; buy my game anyway because it’s
Paper Mario! PAY MEEEE!!!” Nope. I refuse to play something that was once great
and now isn’t. I will never
play a Paper Mario game again until I see something like Paper Mario
and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Both of those games were
fun, inspiring, and gave me an experience that will surpass games of
even the highest standards today. I don’t want a Paper Mario game
with a new paper gimmick because paper. I want a title that some kid
20 years from now will want to pick up and play to see what all the
hype is about with such an old game. It’s amazing to look back at
these titles and see what gems they had offered, and it’s
devastating to look at what it had turned into in subsequent titles. I get that they didn't want to step on the toes of Mario and Luigi, and that Miyamoto didn't want to see the purity of his series die with a detailed adventure that takes from the spirit of the franchise. But frankly, the franchise could use some more spirit, and Paper Mario was absolutely it! My answer for Nintendo is that they need to start "Why not both"ing it with Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi, because both games scream fresh originality that gives Mario games so much flair. I hope Nintendo learns from their mistake and realizes that 2 Mario
RPG series is actually a good thing! Thank you for choosing Luma’s
Blog and Grill!








Comments
Post a Comment